Raymond Garfield Dandridge
was born in 1882. In 1911 he was stricken with a strange fever and never really recovered; he was bedridden for the rest of his life. He published three books of poetry before he died in 1930. Dandridge Garden at Grand and West Eighth Street is dedicated to his memory.
, an excellent engineer, was born in Budapest in 1833 and moved to the United States in 1866 and settled in Cincinnati. He designed and built the Price Hill Incline in 1874, and in 1876 completed two tracks to haul freight.
In the field of education, the Knight family was well known. They moved into the historic Moore home in 1928. Mr. Knight was an engineer at Miami University, and his wife was a principal at Jackson School. Their daughter Laura and nephews, Darwin and Charles Turner, were recognized for academic excellence. Darwin was the youngest person ever to graduate from the University of Cincinnati, and their daughter Mamie was an educator and social worker. Mamie Knight Faulkner lived in the Moore House until her death.
, who owned the Lackman Brewery, had a large estate on West Eighth Street at Hermosa. That home achieved notoriety in the twentieth century when it became the home of famed Price Hill bootlegger George Remus, who held elaborate parties at his house.
, a cousin of William Price, started horse-drawn trolley from the Incline to downtown in 1883, shortly after the completion of the Incline. . It was bought by the Cincinnati Street Railway Company in 1885, and they started Route 21, the Price Hill Line, which covered East Price Hill.
bought property on Cleves Warsaw Pike and started a small dairy farm in 1870. In 1910, Joseph F. Witsken bought the property and developed it into a thriving dairy business that served the Price Hill area until 1950.
was an early mayor of Cincinnati, fought as a colonel in the Civil War, and was instrumental in establishing the celebration of Memorial Day. He built his house on the crest of the easternmost hill. That house still stands today.
, a prominent Cincinnati businessman, built an imposing mansion on the crest of the next hill over from Mr. Moore’s home. He called it Mistletoe Heights, and it was part of Price Hill’s grand architectural history through the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Unfortunately, it was torn down a few years ago. Mr. Neff and several others were instrumental in the founding of the Westminster Presbyterian Church that stood at the corner of Price and Grand. He also built Library Hall, a public meeting place, which still stands in Price Hill today as part of Holy Family School..
was a real estate salesman. He also saw the commercial possibilities of “moving pictures” very early— he started showing movies on bed sheets at the Glenway Theatre in the early 1900s. Mr. Prout tried to get the western part of Price Hill to secede and become an independent entity called Covedale, of which he hoped to be the mayor. He didn’t succeed, but he does have a corner in Price Hill named after him.
moved his family into a log cabin in the vicinity of where Elberon and Phillips are today. Later the family moved to a site we now call Mt. Echo Park. Johan's son, John P., was an architect. He designed many of the area's fine homes, as well as St. Lawrence Church. John P. changed the family name to Striker.
Elder High School started quite a few professional football players on their way, including Bob Hoernschemeyer, Bobby Fry, Dan James, Steve Junker, Joe Schaffer, Dan Stricker, Steve Tensi, and Jerry Vogele. Bill Earley, Gordon Mass, and Chris Nichting played professional baseball. West High also produced some well-known athletes. Pete Rose, Donny Zimmer and Jim Frey, baseball players, all went there. Rodney Heath, James Taylor, and Jack Reynolds played football for the Maroons, and Roy Legal, a world-champion swimmer, got his feet wet there. Marie Wegman was a utility infielder-outfielder and pitcher who played from 1948 through 1950 in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. Listed at 5 feet 7 inches and 130 pounds, she batted and threw right-handed.
Charlie Yee ran a laundry on Warsaw Avenue and was called “the mayor of Price Hill.” Jack Marmer owned a shoe store on Warsaw Avenue, was very civic-minded, and loved Price Hill. He was always a main attraction on Price Hill Day at Coney Island and could jump higher than anyone you ever saw. In November of 1949, Nicholas Lambrinides and his sons opened the Skyline Chili Parlor on Glenway Avenue The rest is history. While on the subject of restaurants, we shouldn’t overlook Buddy LaRosa, who brought pizza to the community.
Andrew Berding, the owner of the Domestic Laundry Company, built a three-story Romanesque house on Purcell Ave. Louis Manss built a large home on Glenway, and E M Pattison, who was partially responsible for the construction of the Eighth St. Viaduct, built a beautiful mansion on Grand Avenue Roscommon that he named Roscommon for his birthplace in Ireland.
Mayors: In addition to Mayors Robert Moore and Elisha Hotchkiss, Edward J. Dempsey, who helped in the development of Dempsey Park, ran our city from 1906 to 1907. The Sixth Street Viaduct is named for Edward N. Waldvogel, who was mayor from 1953 to 1954. Donald D. Clancy, a graduate of Elder High School, was mayor from 1957 to 1960, and Eugene P. Ruehlmann, a West High graduate, was Cincinnati’s mayor from - 1967-1971. Then, from 1977-1978, our mayor was Jerry Springer.. Jerry lived on Western Hills Avenue during his tenure as mayor.